Lead Data Scientist
Ravelin is looking for a Lead Data Scientists to head up our machine learning team. Ravelin is a fraud detection company. Founded 4 years ago, we have grown to help companies all over the world in their fight against payment fraud. Fundamental to this effort is our industry-leading machine learning approach to fraud detection.
You will be joining to lead the Detection team. The Detection team is responsible for keeping fraud rates low – and clients happy – by continuously training and deploying machine learning models. We aim to make model deployments as easy and error free as code deployments. Google’s Best Practices for ML Engineering is our bible.
Our models are trained to spot multiple types of fraud, using a variety of data sources and techniques in real time. The prediction pipelines are under strict SLAs, every prediction must be returned in under 300ms. When models are not performing as expected, it’s down to the Detection team to investigate why.
The Detection team is core to Ravelin’s success. They work closely with the Data Engineering Team who build infrastructure and the Intelligence & Investigations Team who liaise with clients.
Our ideal candidate is pragmatic, approachable and filled with knowledge tempered by past failures. You will help grow the data science team and we will help grow your technical skills, management experience and teach you all about fraud.
This role is primarily a senior individual contributor role (60%) with some additional managerial responsibilities (40%). The most important managerial duty is to undertake 1-on-1s with the team. You will report directly to the CIO (chief intelligence officer).
The work is not all green field research. The everyday work is about making safe incremental progress towards better models for our clients. The ideal candidate is willing to get involved in both aspects of the job – and understand why both are important.
- Build out our model evaluation and training infrastructure.
- Develop and deploy new models to detect fraud whilst maintaining SLAs
- Write new features in our production infrastructure
- Research new techniques to disrupt fraudulent behaviour
- Manage a wonderful team of enthusiastic and motivated data scientists
- Investigate model performance issues (using your experience of debugging models).
- Team 1-on-1s and other minor duties such as prioritising work and coordinating with other teams
- 4+ years experience in data science or machine learning engineering
- High proficiency in the python data stack (numpy, pandas, sklearn)
- Understand software engineering best practices (git, code reviews, CI/CD, testing) and how they apply to machine learning engineering.
- ML pipelines (luigi, airflow etc.) and ML production infrastructure experience
- Mentoring data scientists
Nice to haves
- Go, C++, Java or another systems language.
- Tensorflow and deep learning experience
- Ability to prioritise and manage workloads on behalf of your team
- The ability to explain complex ideas to a variety of audiences
- Strong analytical skills
- Competitive Salary & Equity Package
- 25 days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- Flexible Working Hours / WFH
- Learning & Development Allowance
- Volunteer Opportunities & Charity Donations
- Fortnightly Pod Lunches
- Office Snacks & Drinks
- Quarterly Company Socials
- Cycle-to-Work and Childcare Schemes
- Office Yoga, Football, and Board Game/Movie Nights
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.